Saturday, November 26, 2011

O Christmas Tree

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. I had a busy week off, but I sure have enjoyed being home with my little one- I could definitely get used to this SAHM thing!

Every year after Thanksgiving I start to get excited about Black Friday. I usually get a thrill out of the crowds and chaos,  but this year I just wasn't feeling it. I decided to stay home with Jack and get my Christmas put up. I didn't get as far as I had hoped with my decorating, but I did get my tree all trimmed and it turned out beautiful, if I do say so myself. My tree is extremely special to me because I inherited all of my ornaments from my Aunt Margaret. She loved the holidays so much...she never lost that childhood awe of them, as adults sometimes do. My fondest childhood memories of Christmas are with her, and her spirit lives on every year when I put up my tree. She lived in New York City in a tiny apartment, yet she always had 2 full size trees, decked out to the max with Christopher Radko ornaments. She would put her tree up after Halloween and leave it up into the New Year. Here is a picture of us from Thanksgiving 1997 in her apartment in New York. Forgive the quality, as this is a picture of a picture, but you can get the idea of how beautiful she was, and her tree!


Every year I kick off the holiday season by putting my tree up. I blast my Christmas playlist, make some rich hot chocolate and get busy putting up my million and one ornaments. I cannot wait to share this tradition with Jack, though, perhaps we may get new, more kid friendly ornaments for next year ;-) 
The pictures really don't do these ornaments justice, but here are a few of my favorites. Also, I will post more pics of my holiday decor as I get it up. 


I love Halloween so much it even shows up on my Christmas tree

One of many intricate Santa's

Three Wise Men 

Parrot


Salted Hot Chocolate 

Vanilla and a touch of salt make this hot chocolate extra special!

Mix 2 tablespoons good cocoa powder with 2 tablespoons sugar and a dash of salt. Microwave 2 cups milk with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until bubbling (about 2 mins). Whisk together well.

And of course, top with lots of marshmallows! Cheers to the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!







No comments:

Post a Comment