Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, Old Me

Happy New Year friends! Sorry I've been MIA since before Christmas, but I've been enjoying some much needed r & r with my little family. We had a super busy Christmas and then left to ring in the New Year down at the coast. We did a whole lot of nothin' while there and it was wonderful!

One evening while watching the sunset on the deck, I began pondering my "New Year's Resolutions." I quote that because, let's face it, we all realize the irony in that statement. A lot of people say they don't even bother to make them, but I usually do. I love a fresh start and most of the time I even have a sliver of hope that I'll stick to at least one. But this year, I started thinking backward instead of forward. Instead of thinking about what I could do to be a new and improved me, I started thinking back to times when I felt the best about me. Times in my life and things that I've done that made me feel good. I mean, I figure if I have done it before, I can do it again, right? Maybe it's just the same game, different name, but here are a few things on my list of things to get back to (in no particular order):

Reading: For as long as I can remember I have always been a bookworm. A good book becomes an obsession for me, an infatuation...I literally will think about it all day long until I can open it again and then I will think about the characters like they're friends of mine when it's done. But, when I got pregnant I only read pregnancy or baby related material for 9 months. Then when Jack was born, well, you know how that goes... picking up a book vs. sleeping? You know what won. Now that I'm getting to bed at a semi-decent hour again, I'm ready to have my reading time back. Plus, I got an iPad for Christmas and I'm itching to have my first e-read. Any suggestions?

Journaling: I have journal, upon journal, upon journal from high school and college, but for some reason after college I just put my pen down. I love to write, whether it's about my day or whatever, and I miss it. Curling up with my journal and pen and letting my thoughts escape my head was the cheapest form of therapy I've ever had!

Jogging: I'm notorious for being a bandwagon exerciser (and dieter), but at one time, a couple of years ago, I really got into jogging. (I'd like to say 'running' but really, I'm sure I never got faster than a jog). I really stuck with it for a few months and it became like a drug. If I missed a day, I missed that feeling, that rush. I loved challenging myself to see if I could make it one more lap. The best part of jogging for me is that it literally is the only time my head ever feels CLEAR. I crank my music so loud that I can't possibly hear myself think and I just run...

These are just a couple of things from my list. I won't bore you with them all, but hopefully this year I'll get back to some of these pastimes. I'm also shooting for my annual "eat healthier and lose weight" goal, so I'll be sharing my healthy recipes and treats with you along the way. I hope you all have started your new year feeling rested and renewed! Cheers to 2012!

1 comment:

  1. If you find a good book, let me know! I've been dying to get back into reading non-parenting books - it's been way too long!! :)

    ReplyDelete