Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mini Pumpkin Pies Peter Out...

I had this grand idea to do a fun and seasonal multi-sensory writing project with my second graders. We have been studying descriptive sentences using your 5 senses, and I'm always having them imagine the taste sense, so I thought it would be great to bake them something. I found some adorable mini pumpkin pies on Pinterest that I knew the kids would love. In addition, I would read Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies, which is one of my favorite Halloween stories. Unfortunately though, the pies were a bust. As much as I hate to admit it, I do have a kitchen flop every now and again...

First of all, you start by cutting mini pumpkins out of your crust and putting them in mini muffin pans (I took some help from the store and used the pre-made rollout crust in the refrigerated section.) There was my first problem. My pumpkin cookie cutter was way too small, so I stuck two together, but it made for a sloppy and too thinly stretched crust.



I don't know if it was the too thin, torn crusts, or that I should have sprayed some Pam in the muffin tins, but my little pumpkin friends did not want to leave their cozy home. They stuck really bad and also did not look anything, and I mean anything like the adorable ones I saw on Pinterest. Epic. Fail. :(

I did manage to get 3 out and they were...well, a bit sad, but here they are anyway.


Regardless, they still tasted good, even if we did have to eat them with a fork straight from the muffin tin. But, I promised my kids pumpkin pie, so I rolled out another crust and made a boring old regular pie for the them tomorrow. Hopefully they'll still have fun, I'm sure they will.

You will be seeing this again, as I plan on trying to master this mini pumpkin tart art. Here is the link to Bakerella and what they should have come out like. Like my bff and I always say: when something doesn't work out, don't give up, try, try again! Haha!



No comments:

Post a Comment