Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Perfect Day For Baking

Having my 5 month old in a bassinet next to me every night, I'm pretty used to rude awakenings in the wee hours. However this morning, it was not my son's cry that woke me, but thunder, glorious thunder. If you're from around here, you know rain is like liquid gold these days, so I didn't mind the sleep interruption. It actually was a great start to my day. Since we were up early, we were able to make 8:00 am church, which is a feat in itself for us. After church I decided to bake some pumpkin bread (one of my favorite fall treats) for a late breakfast. 65 degree weather, rain, pumpkin bread, coffee and lots of snuggles from my little man...who could ask for a cozier Sunday morning?

Pumpkin Bread
Lone Star Legacy Cookbook

3 c sugar, 3 1/2 c flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg

 1 c oil, 4 eggs, 2 c canned pumpkin, 3/4 c water, 1 tsp vanilla

 In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, and pumpkin.

 Sift dry ingredients together and add to sugar mixture, alternating with water.

 1 c chopped pecans optional, but I love nuts, so I add them. A tip from my friend Joan, toast the nuts for extra flavor. Add nuts just before pouring batter into bundt pan.

 Pour batter into lightly greased bundt pan. I love this fall bundt pan from Williams Sonoma.

I garnished mine with some sifted powdered sugar and oak leaves. 

Voila`, sinfully yummy breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Susie! I love the blog! I can't wait to read more and try out some of your recipes! xo

    ReplyDelete